Sunday, March 25, 2007








New Healdsburg Entrant
Koa / Adirondack - Sedona
I have FINALLY got around to posting some pics of my Healdsburg guitars.

I have decided to add this Koa guitar to my Healdsburg Guitar Festival line up. It features an extremely nice set of flamed koa and a wonderful Adirondack Red Spruce top. So far the back is braced, the rim is made, and the top has been cut to profile and the rosette has been installed.

The rosette is a combination of maple burl, red heart abalone, and various purflings.

This guitar will feature a brazilian rosewood bridge (you can see the blank I am going to use in the picture, it is old with lots of great spiderwebbing) and a heavily figured Madagascar Rosewood fingerboard. The bridge design you see laying on top is a new prototype I am working on. It still needs a few tweaks, but you can get the general idea.

I am still trying to decide whether I will bind this with Brazilian Rosewood or Curly Koa, I think both would look very nice.
Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one looks very nice, Brock. I'd suggest the Braz RW bindings, for some contrast with the koa B/S.

Dave

Brock Poling said...

Thanks Dave, I am leaning that way too.

Anonymous said...

Hello Brock,

I'm not going to make any suggestions to you....you seem to be doing A-OK without my help. Your bridge design is really nice...don't change a thing. There you go...I just made a suggestion!Can you allow yourself to disclose from which vendor you acquired that Madagascar fingerboard? I don't think I've ever seen a nicer one. The web site is very nice & the display of available b&s sets is a good marketing idea and will certainly wet the appetite of potential purchasers. Very best wishes for future as a luthier.

Best regards,

David (yes...another one!!!).

Brock Poling said...

Thanks for the comments. LMI used to have a SWEET stash of Madagascar Rosewood fingerboards (and sets). I bought as many as I could afford. I have a pretty good stash of these really figured boards.

I also have quite a few sets (more than are on my site) of nice Madagascar Rosewood sets.